Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What you can do...

If you are anything like me, you will try to figure out a way to do something for yourself, before paying somebody else to do it. I do a lot of homemade items, such as household cleaner, body scrub, bread. Not all at the same time, but I can save a good chunk of change when I want to.

I was thinking about swimming. I am incredibly blessed that I have a daughter who LOVES to swim. Teaching her has been such a joy. She will soak up anything I tell her (in regards to swimming), and just take off. I cannot describe the peace I feel knowing that I do not have to worry about her around water. Which is not to say I let her swim alone, but I don't need to watch her every second like a hawk.

This little freedom allows me to focus on my son. He is not a water bug like his sister. He loves to swim, but he needs to either be able to touch, or hold onto an adult. And splashing is a huge offense. It will not be a walk in the park to teach him, but it will be a challenge.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because I think that a good deal of parents can teach their children how to swim. Maybe not at an Olympic training level, but a basic survival/able to have fun in the water level.

I have decided to try to pass along some of the tips and techniques I use for my private lessons, as well as my own children.

Please let me know if you have specific questions, and if you are finding any of my posts helpful. Feedback my not always be fun, but I am sure it can be helpful most of the time.