Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What I Offer

I have been teaching lessons for many years. I have two children and am comfortable with kids in the water. For this reason, most of my lessons are with younger children, and sometimes with those scared of the water. I love these kinds of lessons because they have the most potential for growth.

It is incredibly rewarding to see the parents' faces as they watch their terrified child drop the death grip and enjoy being the water. Or leave the steps or put her face in the water. I love it.

Let me take this opportunity to tell you that I do not dunk unless the parent either approves or wants it done. My teachers WILL NOT DUNK!

I have also had children who love to "swim," but wouldn't be able to save himself. These survival skill lessons are fun, because here the child can see the progress & feels a boost of confidence. I still stress they should never swim alone, but in a worst case scenario, he will be able to save himself.

I do not have a lot of experience in teaching adults, but I do have some. I am all for it, I just have not yet built up that base yet.

I teach at the Benedict Inn and it is a great instructional pool. Warm waters, 3ft to 9ft and not as large as some pools, so the intimidation may not be as fierce.

I will usually go as young as 3, and not for as long as, say, a child of 8yrs. With children younger than 3 - it really depends. I have not yet done it, but I would suggest one lesson, with the parent, and show the parent techniques they can use to help the child. I would tell them what the little person should know before we have full-fledged lessons.

I have no problem admitting when I can no longer teach. Let me explain - if we have been going for 6 weeks and your child has plateaued, I will not continue to teach him, and will be honest and open with you. I will tell you that we should take a break, and maybe try again in a month or two. There is no good from wasting my time, plus your time & money.

Anyway, if you have any questions for me about private lessons, please feel free to leave a comment, but please include an e-mail or another way to get in touch with you about specific questions. I will answer general questions in a comment, or another post, if I get enough.