Thursday, June 3, 2010

Post-Lesson Questions/ Comments; pt. 5

So this comment has been made by at least a couple of parents, and I find no problem with it. Just because it was a problem, does not mean that it was not noticed, and we are taking steps to right it.

The issue? No enough activity. I understand, why is there not more going on?

First, with a class of 5 children is difficult to engage every child every minute of every class. That being said, I have told my instructors to make sure that they give the children - who are not being actively work with - something to work on while they are waiting. Bubble blowing. Going under. Freestyle breathing.

There are many things that your child could be working on during that down time. Please reinforce to your child to listen to the teacher and try to practice when they are not with their teacher.

Also, please try to remember that they are children. Unless they are fearful or uncertain, then the water is just a fun place for them! They love to play and go under and splash and explore this new sensation. Especially if they are not exposed to it on a regular basis. Try to imagine how they must feel to be able to come and play with other kids in such a fun place!

I really did try to make it to every class several times during the class periods to help and see how things were going. The instructors had (and will have) skill sheets to refer to during lessons, and goals to work towards.

We are also having another training day tomorrow afternoon. I have my instructors coming in to the pool for an hour to work with several kids of different ages & skills levels. I will be there to help them and show them how to maximize their time with the kids, while at the same time making it a fun experience for the kids.

As always, I cannot fix a problem if I do not know that it exists. If you have any questions or concerns about your child's class, please ask me about it. I would much rather discuss it and try ti fix it than get a bad review.

While no one sees the post-lesson questionnaires but me (and no one is making me hand them out), I would much rather try to correct something and have parents be pleased with the lessons than having someone discontent when I could have done something to help.

1) Same gender instructors
2) Lifeguard attention
3) Out of water lesson time
4) Skill progress